Have you ever wondered how to make your resume stand out in a competitive job market? Highlighting the right Skills to Put on Resume can be the key to landing your dream job. In this digital era, an impressive resume is a ticket to showcasing your personal brand, and our Google Docs resume templates are the key to that perfect ticket.
This article serves as your comprehensive guide to understanding the art of resume skills, featuring handy tips, enlightening statistics, and real-life examples. We’ll explore how our easily editable Google Docs resume templates help craft a professional, structured, and visually appealing resume that can be tailored to your unique needs.
Why Skills Matter on Your Resume?
Did you know that, according to a study by CNBC, about 58% of managers agree that employees should have strong skills beyond their core competencies? In essence, this emphasizes the critical importance of highlighting the right skills on your resume.
Skills, both hard and soft, demonstrate your capabilities, making you a desirable candidate for the role. They offer potential employers a quick snapshot of what you’re bringing to the table.
What Are Hard and Soft Skills?
To understand what skills to put on a resume, it’s crucial to first grasp the distinction between hard and soft skills.
- Hard Skills – These are quantifiable, teachable abilities that are related to a specific job, such as software programming, project management, foreign language proficiency, or mechanical expertise.
- Soft Skills – These are more subjective, often related to your personality and how you interact with others. Examples include communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and adaptability.
Why Google Docs Resume Templates?
Creating a resume from scratch can be daunting. That’s where our Google Docs resume templates can be a lifesaver.
- Ease of Use – Our templates are easy to use. With Google Docs, you can edit your resume right in your browser, without requiring additional software.
- Affordable – We believe quality should be affordable. Compared to many professional resume writing services that can cost hundreds of dollars, our templates are a cost-effective solution.
- Professional Design – Our templates are visually appealing and well-structured. They are designed by industry professionals, making your resume stand out.
Choosing the Right Skills to Put on Resume
Now that we understand the importance of skills and the advantage of using a Google Docs resume template, let’s dive into how to choose the right skills to highlight.
- Job Description is Key – Always tailor your skills to match those mentioned in the job description. This way, you’re demonstrating to potential employers that you’re a perfect fit.
- Blend Hard and Soft Skills – Showcase a combination of both hard and soft skills. This will present you as a well-rounded candidate.
- Don’t Overdo It – Stick to listing the skills that are relevant to the job. Listing too many skills can make your resume look cluttered and unfocused.
How to List Skills on a Resume
The method of listing skills can make a significant difference in your resume’s effectiveness. Here are some best practices:
- Use Bullet Points – Listing skills in bullet points makes it easy for recruiters to scan your resume.
- Categorize Your Skills – Separate hard skills from soft skills. This adds clarity and makes your resume more organized.
- Provide Evidence – Wherever possible, provide evidence of your skills. For example, if you’re listing ‘project management’ as a skill, you could follow it with a brief example or quantifiable result, like ‘Managed a team of six to successfully complete project ahead of deadline’.
To conclude, knowing the right skills to put on your resume can significantly enhance your chances of catching an employer’s attention. With our affordable and easily editable Google Docs resume templates, you have the tool you need to showcase these skills effectively. Remember, your resume is your personal brand’s representation; make it count!